The human body is one of the most amazing machines on Earth. It is designed to be self-sustaining as it is constantly making repairs and with proper nerve flow regenerating new healthy cells.
Our bodies mass are almost 99% made up of six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. With water being the most abundant chemical compound in living human cells, accounting for 65-90% of each cell.
With water being the dominant factor in our elemental makeup, how important is keeping our bodies hydrated? Critical!
To learn more read on.
Let Us “Sea” Your Body Of Health
Our bodies contain more water than anything else – about 65-90 percent of our total body weight. This water helps regulate our bodies temperature, transports nutrients, and helps remove waste. Every day we lose water when we breathe, sweat, urinate, and defecate and every day we must replenish the water not only lost with normal daily activities but as an increased priority when the water is lost by exercise and exerting activities.
Crunching The Numbers
Statistically, the human body can survive three to five weeks without food, three to five days without water, three to five minutes without oxygen, and three to five minutes without nerve supply.
The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy continually reviews research evidence on adequate water intake, and their most recent suggestions for daily intake are these recommendations:
- Men: 13 cups (about 10.5 cups from beverages)
- Women: 9 cups (about 7 cups from beverages)
- Pregnant women: 10 cups (about 8 cups from beverages)
- Breastfeeding women: 13 cups (about 10.5 cups from beverages)
Am I Drinking Enough Water?
Most people can gauge their water intake by simply looking at the color of their urine. When you are getting enough water, your urine should be a pale yellow, and you will urinate several times a day.
Unfortunately, urine color doesn’t work for everyone. When taking dietary supplements that contain B vitamins, your urine will be a bright yellow. Other certain medications can change the color of your urine, as well.
The Right Hydration Equation
One big question that we are often asked is, “How much water do we need to drink every day?”
Although that is a simple question, it does not have an easy answer. It depends on some environmental and physical factors that can change every day. An additional factor into the equation is the amount and type of food that you eat. On average 20 percent of your water intake can come from the foods you eat with the remaining 80 percent coming from beverages, including water, coffee, tea, and anything else liquid.
One of the simpler formulas that we have found works well is simply drinking fluids each day that equal half of your body weight, in ounces. For example, we advise that a 200 lb. Person to drink 100 ounces of water a day. With the intake of water being small and often rather than huge quantities all at once.
Ready To Tutor You On Your Health!
You and your family’s health matters to us. Please feel free to contact us with any questions concerning this post or another health topic.
We are always happy to hear from our awesome patients!